Tuesday 25 June 2019

2nd session operation trot......


Second session at the RDA June 2019



 As I said last week I was going to the RDA in Avon again to have another simulator lesson, my instructor Karen had discussed last week that I should take my bespoke saddle that I ride in and fit it on to the simulator. Well I took the saddle and with a bit of fiddling around with it on Black Beauty it didn’t fit!! The girth straps were too long so that was that. So I had my session in the saddle that’s always on the simulator. I don’t feel unsafe in this saddle but we just thought it would be good if we could use mine for familiarity, It was a good idea but not suitable.

I started off in walk and did a couple of warm up exercises including walk to holt transitions, My friend Jane was with me today, she hasn’t seen me ride Black Beauty for a long time and she said she couldn’t believe how secure in my seat I was. It’s funny as my other instructor Beth says that, but I feel so vulnerable bobbing about on top I don’t see it. So once warmed up in walk we pick up the slow trot and off we go! Karen notices that sometimes I am tucking my finger under the pommel, I am not sure why I do this and sometimes I don’t, maybe it’s due to the fact that on my saddle I have a bar? And when I feel unbalanced I automatically go to the bar and stabilise myself. Well I’m going to try and not hold the saddle in these transfers and we continued to practice most of the session going from trot to walk and trot again.

I told Karen about our communication with Flynn at my riding lesson on Monday. I am going to try and be very clear with the signals I give him as I don’t want him to be confused when asking for the transitions. As a para rider in para dressage you are allowed to use your voice.  This is something I have to learn and I will be practicing my clear instructions on the simulator and real thing!!

We tried the faster trot also today, which is very unsettling for me and I couldn’t be in it for long and bypassed quickly into canter, this feels very comfortable and I quite enjoy how secure I feel in this pace. But not for long as I have to go back down through the transitions again into really fast unbalancing trot, I am not sure that pushing me out of my comfort zone is part of pushing myself to make me do it as I defiantly need to push myself more now if I want to compete at Grade 2. I finished today’s session feeling quite pleased with what I achieved today. Then we took my saddle to try it on one if the horses at the centre. Robbie is one horse that is hoist trained, I have ridden him a few times and after his fitting by the RDA stable manager it was agreed that my saddle did fit Robbie so I would be able to use my own saddle when I ride him. This is fantastic as in my saddle my lower leg is quite stable and doesn’t swing because of the knee rolls/thigh rolls.

I am really happy that my own saddle fits Robbie and that we can alternate with Robbie, Flynn and the simulator. I am looking forward to next week simulator lesson already as we work toward establishing that TROT!!!

      

No comments:

Post a Comment