Saturday 25 November 2017

Super Flynn and the Physio.


Julia Mottram Equine Physiotherapist
Second visit to meet me and Flynn
Beth warming up super Flynn



On Monday the 9th October Flynn and I were excited about our second meeting with Julia as it was going to be our first ridden assessment.  We have been doing our home work from last month which was carrot stretches. Flynn says ”I’m good at this bending for carrot game”. We met at the yard at 1.30 and today we were lucky with the weather as the sun was shining. First of all Beth rode Flynn for 20 minutes to warm him up and Julia watched him strut his stuff with his Mummy.  Whatever Beth rides she always makes them look amazing, but today Flynn looked like he had been at an all-inclusive buffet!!  We did laugh as he made his way around the arena with Beth shouting... OMG Flynn you defiantly need to get Millered, which means she’s on his case, diet and more exercise. Oh dear poor Flynn.


I am listening Honest !!! 


We were able to see from the ground that the saddle slipped to the right side, this is something Beth knows about and we are waiting for her saddle fitter to come back from holiday so we can start discussing/looking at something more suitable for me and Flynn.

Prior to actually getting into the saddle Julia notices that I collapse my right shoulder and use my right arm to fix with, so Julia had already said this will probably transfer to when I’m in the saddle   to the right, This is a habit I have got into when relaxing as I seem to sit sideways and lean on the right back rest of the wheelchair. (It’s comfortable!! ha ha but I need to stop it!! Oh dear Flynn don’t think you’re the only one in trouble)


Julia put some tape across my back in the shape of a large cross and some on the middle of the saddle, and then she watched me walk round the arena. Julia assessed my sitting posture with and without stirrups and with the use of the tape it was clear to see how my posture changed. To start with my right shoulder was dropping and the saddle was slipping to the right, with some small adjustments and advice I was able to sit straighter. By assessing this it is clear to Julia that I need to work on my lateral stability, to keep my right shoulder from dropping and give me stability in the saddle. It also showed that the saddle does need some attention from a qualified saddler to stop it slipping to the right. 


We worked on 20 meter circles and also some serpentines and did lots of transitions from stand to walk and walk to stand. Then I had to put the reins into one hand and do arm exercises to help with balance and strengthening of my core, and use the arena mirrors to check my position in the saddle at all times. This is all extremely hard for me and quite exhausting at this stage. I need to build up my stamina and by riding more frequently this will improve. Julia says it’s like her and Beth riding not being able to feel the saddle under your bum and your feet in the stirrups. Imagine that!! Well we have some homework to work on, when on the ground after Flynn has been ridden more carrot stretches, encouraging bending and stretching to help with suppleness and balance is good for Flynn and when I am riding I have to try and do the arm exercises and core work, without stirrups which will help me to strengthen my core and help with my balance and try and stop me falling to the right.

Julia also has been extremely helpful with an application to the SSIT charity; we are working towards raising some money for a hoist to be fitted in the arena. This will enable me to ride more frequently and not to need so many people to walk by the side or be around. It would make it a lot easier, so fingers crossed we get our application granted. Both Flynn and I are looking forward to our next session, which will be a ridden assessment for me first, then a treatment for Flynn. As always I must thank Flynn’s Owner Beth Hobbs for all her support and guidance and thanks to Julia for working with us!!

#paradressage#dressageconnie#incrediblejourney#spinalcordinjury

 

 
 




keystonephysiotherapy.co.uk







No comments:

Post a Comment