Friday 23 December 2016

Am I too disabled to ride at the riding for the disabled (RDA)??


Well it been just over a week since my last entry and the question above has given me highs, lows tears and tantrums!!!!. Let me go back to the beginning.


As I mentioned in the last entry, whilst been a patient at Salisbury spinal unit I attended the Wilton branch of the RDA (Riding for disabled adults) on 3 occasions. Initially I just wanted a fix!!! Just that smell, I missed it so much. I went with the Therapy coordinator from the ward, and obviously the day out did involve a pub lunch too!!!! But meeting the staff and horses on the 15th of February 2016 just 4 months after my accident, I was in my element. On the two other occasions I went with my daughter Stella, who has found the whole life changing situation very difficult, especially as we use to spend so much time together at the yard.( As everyone knows  people who have horses they take up a lot of time!! But we love it…..)


Being back in the horse environment I knew it felt like something inside me was missing, I know!!!! I am missing my ability to walk, but my heart still missed being around these amazing animals. The team at Wilton RDA were so enthusiastic and encouraging about the opportunities to ride again I knew it was going to be possible (or so I thought) so from this time my drive and determination kicked in. Oh boy am I glad I have drive and determination or I would have given up the dream before it even started.


Once back on the ward and pushing to get home as soon as possible, I was eventually discharged in March just after 11 weeks rehabilitation The words of encouragement from the staff at Wilton and my spinal consultant sort of saying/suggesting I had to wait at least a year post injury before you ride I made an appointment to go to the RDA in Bristol and look round, I couldn’t wait. The day finally came when I was invited to go and look round and my friend and my physio came with me.

On the 12th may we went and the whole establishment and set up in Bristol was is fantastic, they have a horse simulator with the hoist facility so I would be able to get on, the stables and arena are amazing , the work they do in helping with rehabilitation is fantastic. We were given the grand tour and I filled all the forms in. Both my friend and physio had the pleasure of riding the simulator, jealous wasn’t the word, I just wanted to push them off and get on!! It was very difficult emotionally for me to cope with. This place was like utopia to me!!! Then came the bomb shell. It’s like feeding a carrot to a horse on a stick, leading him to it and when he gets close it moves away!!! I needed 2 letters from each of my consultants giving me permission to ride and that I will be safe riding or I can’t ride there, not even on the simulator…. Due to the insurance.


Well I knew my spinal consultant had said to me wait a year, and as it was only May I thought I need to uses this time to go to the gym, strengthen my core and do as much as possible to make me as strong and stable as I can, so I left it till August/September and I wrote to both my consultants asking for them to support me in my passion of riding. I sent letters with evidence to show what I’ve been up to, in the gym, attending the spinal games and generally setting up all the ground work.


Well I was over the moon to have phone call from the Neuro surgical consultant, who was so encouraging and interested to hear about my achievements so far and said some people don’t achieve in a life time what I had done in just 6 months while being home. He said he couldn’t wait to support me and that the operation he performed meant my back was stable and not going anywhere!!! He couldn’t comment on my balance or present state of health as he hadn’t seen me since I left Southmead in December 2015 but he said he would write a letter on my behalf positivity supporting this venture. I was so grateful and forwarded the letter on to the RDA in Bristol.


I waited and waited and waited for a reply from my spinal consultant, I contacted various contacts I had in the spinal unit and asked if they could email her, I contacted her secretary to chase up the letter and I waited some more.



During the waiting period, there was a large article in the SIA (spinal injuries association ) magazine all about the benefits of riding for spinal injured people, and they had used the stories of spinal injured individuals to sing the praises of the RDA…. I was so excited I was right on edge…


Then after 7 weeks I finally got the letter I was waiting for. Under NO circumstances does the consultant support any activities related to horse riding “BECAUSE OF THE RISK ******!!!! A two line letter, I was absolutely gutted. No reason as to an explanation, and once the RDA at Bristol had that letter… the door was slammed closed. I am officially too disabled to ride at the riding for the disabled!!!! (RDA).

I was knocked down, devastated, my whole dream taken away by a consultant that wants me to take up dominos…. Oh well those that know me, let’s just say I didn’t stay down for long…

www.rda.org.uk

www.spinal.co.uk

















No comments:

Post a Comment